Berber Carpet vs Wood Flooring

Berber Carpet vs Wood Flooring

Berber Carpet vs Wood Flooring

A frequent quandary for people wanting to buy new flooring is which is better, in the Berber carpet versus wood flooring question. Berber carpet is soft under foot and muffles sounds, it looks great, and comes in a wide variety of colors. Wood flooring wears well, is easier to clean thoroughly, and lasts a long time. Your budget, your health, and your home’s style will help guide you as you look for the answer to the question of which is better between Berber carpeting and wood flooring.

What is one thing that you can do that will instantly add warmth and interest to your home? What can you do that will have a huge impact on your home? Changing your flooring. Many people enjoy the look of hardwood floors, but do not like the cold, hard feeling associated with wood floors. Berber carpet is beautiful and classic, but it can be more difficult to keep clean. These reasons and more are why many people are trying to decide between Berber carpet versus wood floors. Learning about the pros and cons of each one can help you take make a decision between the two of these beautiful floors.

Hardwood floors have a look and feel that are unmatched by any other kind of flooring. They are easy to clean and maintain, too, which makes them ideal for homes with allergy or asthma sufferers. In most cases, all it takes is a broom and mop to keep them clean and shiny for years. They last for much longer than carpeting, too. The stain and wood varieties available in wood flooring are numerous, so you are sure to find exactly what you are looking for in wood flooring. Many people consider hardwood floors superior to carpeting, and feel that it is a huge investment in their home’s value. But other people do not like hardwood floors as well. It is a matter of individual taste and style.

And hardwood has become almost a catch phrase for any kind of wood floor. You have choices of soft woods, hardwood, engineered wood, and unusual «woods» like cork and bamboo to use for your wood flooring. Each type of wood flooring has its special features and drawbacks, so be sure to understand the pros and cons of any wood flooring you are considering.

Berber carpeting has classic beauty and design. Many people choose it over hardwood flooring because it is warm and cushiony to walk on, compared to the hardness and coolness of hardwoods. Quality Berber carpeting made from 100% nylon or wool fibers is easy to keep clean and to remove stains from, but there are other fibers of Berber carpeting that are hard to maintain and keep clean. If you or a member of your family suffers from allergies, then you will want to get 100% wool Berber carpet because it is non-allergenic. Being a natural fiber it’s also non-toxic, helping not only your environment, but also that of the planet. Wool Berber carpeting is quite expensive compared to other fibers, however, so you may want to choose a different flooring altogether. Carpeting does wear out quicker than hardwood flooring, but if you want warm floors that cushion your feet while you walk, then you will want to choose Berber carpeting. The color choices and loop varieties will enable any home

owner to find the exact carpeting that fits the design and décor of their room and home.

Now we have a big competition with Berber carpet versus wood flooring. In this corner, we have wood flooring. In the other corner, we have Berber carpet. This is a grudge match pitting Berber carpet versus wood flooring. Who will win? The smart and knowledgeable homeowner will win in the long run, but only IF they do their research to ensure that the flooring that they choose is right for their home, family, lifestyle, and budget.

Comments

I think I prefer hardwood floors for their asethetics, but you are right — no one wants to prance around barefoot on cold wood! Burrr.

Hi hzeidenberg,

Alot of people are turning to in-floor heating too these days — really helps to keep your floor warm!

The Flooring Lady at December 23, 2008 10:56 AM

Please recommend a «brand» berber for me. I’m looking at Mohawk Horizon Socialite, but I am so fearful! I live alone, but have grandchilcren that vist every other weekend. I need to make a decision today! Thanks.

Debbie Danna at December 27, 2008 1:52 PM

I would be happy to recommend a brand for you if I knew what kind of qualities are most important to you. Warranty, environmental aspects, materials, etc.

It looks like most of the Horizon line is made from some renewable sources, but these are things like recycled plastics. While I’m all for being ‘green’, I don’t care for Berber carpeting that isn’t mostly or all natural fibers (wool is a good example) because of problems associated with *burning*. With these PET based (Petroleum products, such as plastic), just dragging a piece of furniture will melt the fibers, where you set your furniture will cause indententaions that cannont be removed if you decide to re-arrange your furniture.

The Flooring Lady at December 29, 2008 12:16 PM

Do you think a little dog’s claws could ruin a wood floor like I’ve heard? Her little pee spots have ruined our carpet, so now I don’t know which is better with pets, carpet or hardwood.

Anonymous at June 30, 2009 6:26 PM

Which is better with a pet, hardwood or carpet. Want to refurbish our 60 yr. old hardwood, but now have read that a pet’s claws can ruin wood floor.

We have a mini-dachshund whose claws aren’t always clipped. So, stained carpet vs. claw scratches, what do you think?

jan windham at June 30, 2009 6:28 PM

www.softpaws.com/ and see if that would be a good alternative.

The Flooring Lady at June 30, 2009 7:01 PM

We are getting ready to sell our house. What sells better hardwood floors everywhere but the bedrooms, everywhere or all over carpenting that is excellent quality and neutral?

twespinosa at September 8, 2009 10:43 AM

Twespinosa,

Sadly this is a flooring site and your question is one a realtor could help you with. I can give you my thoughts as someone who has sold homes with both carpet and wood/laminate flooring. The decision really depends on what your budget is, and what kind of look you want.

As an example, previous to selling my home I had laminate installed throughout, bedrooms included. The home sold in 21 days as the people purchasing had a son with multiple allergies and carpet was not an option for them. It wasn’t hardwood and it wasn’t the most expensive laminate but it did make an impression and it was beautiful.

The home with carpet was appreciated as well but it was a different market and sold less quickly.

I hope that helps.

The Flooring Lady at September 10, 2009 12:28 PM

Hello, I live in a house with synthetic wood floors in a tropical area where there is lots of sandy dirt. Despite my efforts to sweep and mop regularly, it seems my floors are constantly getting our feet dirty even the day after I clean. Any suggestions how to help this problem?

Sarmar at October 23, 2009 10:28 AM

Even with a «no shoes» rule, door mats are a good idea.

The Flooring Lady at October 26, 2009 9:12 AM

I have a daily problem with a fine dust over the furniture, even vacuum once a week only bedrooms with barber carpet,rest of apartment is tile.This problem is only when the central air condition is on. The air cond. duct have been clean 3 times. The A./C. filter changed every month. Does berber carpet generates this fine dust?