Laundry Room Project

Laundry Room Project

Total Cost: $3000.14

The $3000 Laundry Room Remodel Story:

Figure 1 — Laundry Room in Dec 2000 – No utility sink, ugly linoleum

I began the laundry room project on the 27 th of June 2004 but I have been thinking about it for a couple years prior to this time. I guess I should say I officially kicked off the project by beginning the removal of my laundry machines and stuff that crowed the room so I could begin my demolition.

What is it going to take to complete this project I though scratching my head. Let’s see. Well, my goal is to have a laundry sink. And not one of those cheap ones. I wanted a good one. So I researched and researched some more by surfing the web. I came upon a very nice one made by Kohler. The River Falls model. Yeah, three hundred plus dollars for a sink is quite a bit, but in the whole scheme of the project it really isn’t going to add up to be that much of the total cost.

I saw the sink at A-Boy Supply here locally for a good price so I decided to take the plunge. I liked the faucet they had on the sink so I did some research and found a new one on E-bay for a little bit less money ($326.92 shipped instead of the $399 price at A-Boy). Wow, I never expected to spend that much on the faucet! I was expecting more like $150.

Well, if I’m going to put in the sink I might as well change out the linoleum which was quite old and ugly looking. I figured, tile would be nice. As I dug into the project and did my research I found that my floor, which consisted of 8”x4” joists placed 48” on center with 2”x6” tongue and groove planks for a sub floor is not good enough for doing tile. There will be some deflection. And to fix this problem means I will need to do additional prep work. Ripping down about 100 sq ft of insulation and putting in some extra support. Not something I look forward to doing but I think I’m up for the challenge now after talking with a co-worker and some others. It will make the project drag on a bit more though. So, probably will take until the end of the month or longer before I have a tile floor installed.

I spent about 1-2 hours a day over the last week of June removing the linoleum floor and particle board underneath. I took the floor down to the tongue and groove planks using a circular saw, hammer and this wonder bar pry bar (critical to have).

Figure 2 — Begin sub floor removal

Figure 3 — Sub floor removed

In prep for the plumber I opened up part of the wall where I will want to plumbing to go for the utility sink. I will still need to remove insulation and cut a crawl space hole (temporary) to help make the process a little easier for the plumber and my sub floor work.

Figure 4 — New crawl space hole

So a mole hill has turned into a mountain with the amount of work that this project is going to require.

I spoke with one tile person and they will set the tile, do the grout and put down the wonder board backer for $12 a square foot. I was expecting a bit less but I wasn’t expecting them to want to put down the backer board. Not sure if that is the way I will go but it does cut down on my tool and expense cost by perhaps $100 but I expect they are charging 2x what I can do it for (minus my time).

Other decisions I have to make about the laundry room: What color/size tiles, laundry room sink base, counter top, paint color for walls. I’ve thought about each of these and expect to go with a caramel, or terra cotta or beige style of tile. Maybe 8 or 12 inch. The sink base is looking to cost about $400 which is a bit more than I expected and has a 6 week lead time! The counter top will probably cost $150 and has a 2 week lead time. I expect the tile to cost about $3-4 a square foot. Amazing how all the cost adds up. I was expecting this project to cost about $2k but I may be more like $3k for the laundry room remodel. Amazing how the cost goes up and up.

The tile guy is out until mid August. Yes, about 6 weeks. Another wow. Amazing what I’m finding out as I dig into the project a little more.

Unfortunately for me most tile stores are only open during my normal working hours. So, I’ll have to take some time off to go and select my tile. Maybe pick a store or two and find something I like then buy 80 sq ft or so.

Right now, I’ve got to think about what supplies I will need to sure up the sub floor. I will do this after the plumber completes his work.

Figure 5 — Underneath sub floor (48″ OC Joists)

That will put me towards the end-middle of July when I can get the tiling done. At the earliest depending on availability. Maybe that six week sink base lead time won’t be so bad after all. Until then I may not be able to do my laundry. Ugh. Or I will have to go to laundry facility to do my clothes which is something I’m not looking forward too.

7 July 2004 – Wednesday – Plumbing rough in

Plumbing – It took about 1 hour and 20 minutes for the plumber to do the waste trap. Working at a good pace. The plumber then had to get some supplies which too about 30 minutes (off the clock). He returned and finished the rest of the hot/cold piping within one hour. Arrive shortly after 8am and left around 11am. So, it was a 3 hour job minus the supply run. However, I’m not sure if they charge for transit time from office to my house [it appears they did]. If so I think that would make the job a full three hours at $85 per hour plus supplies and permit. Probably around $350 give or take.

9 July 2004 - Friday

Prior to the 9 th after I got the sub floor ripped up and before the plumber came I worked on removing all the insulation and put up two joists. This gave me an idea of what it was going to take to get moving on the project. Course the whole joist support is being done to support tile which I hope to have laid down in a couple weeks.

I put up two of the joists with standard 10d nails recommended by the Joist hanger manufacture. Course, it will work but won’t support as great of a load. I spoke with a co-worker, Chris C. and he suggested 16d sinkers (3 ј” nails). So, I decided to buy and use them for the rest of the project.

On the evening of the 9 th. Chris dropped by after work to help me with putting a couple joists into the cement. We applied construction adhesive and bolted these up using 6 masonry bolts for one board and 7 for the other—each board was about 5 foot in length. We also used two nails from the Ramset Chris brought. It took about an hour and a half to get this all done. Was great to have Chris helping. He was extremely quick and knew exactly what to do. After we got the joists nailed and bolted into the cement Chris left and I decided not to do any more work that evening. Figured I get some rest for all the work I’ll have to do tomorrow.

10 July 2005 – Saturday

Got a call just after 6am from Mark P. who was at Home Depot waiting for me after dropping his girlfriend off at the airport. Twenty minutes later I met up with Mark who was helping me transport some 4×8 pieces of plywood which wouldn’t fit in my car along with some 2×8’s and a few other items.

The bill for all the supplies is adding up, and I’ll need to get out the calculator. Perhaps two to three hundred dollars in wood and various other supplies needed to rebuild the sub floor. Wow, amazing how such a little project can turn on its end and cost a lot more than what was expected. But, I’m committed so no quitting.

About a hundred and fifty bucks later—each sheet of Ѕ” exterior grade plywood A/C was $32.25 each and I needed three of them—we were loading up the truck.

At about 8am I got started on the rest of the joist building. Three hours later, when I was about three quarters done I ran out of the 16d sinker nails. So, around 11:30am I ran out to get some more nails and do a couple other errands. Wasn’t until about 2pm when I got started up again.

Figure 6 — Sub floor strengthened to roughly 14-16 OC

I finished building and placing all the joists where I wanted them—basically so the entire floor where the tile would go was support 16-18” on center with joists. I also nailed down the 2×6 tongue and grove plywood to the joists. After doing that I could definitely notice an improvement in the floor and it being much sturdier.

It may have been after dinner that I began putting back the insulation. Oh, what a project. If I wore glasses or goggles then they would fog up and I’d have trouble seeing. So, after doing some insulation I had to take a break, take out my contacts, rinse them and put them back in. That helped a lot and I was able to continue the project after that with only little eye problems and occasional goggle usage. I used a shop-vac to take up some of the wood debris left by the plumbers drilling. I also cleaned off some dirt on the black paper.

Putting back the insulation required re-cutting almost ever piece to fit in the new joist slots. Then I stapled it some or just pushed it up and used the twine and staple gun to help hold it in place. Or rather, keep it from falling down beyond the twine. Seemed to do the trick for the most part so I stuck with it. This is similar to the method the insulation installers used but not nearly as good. They have better equipment and a much better staple gun.

I got close to being done around 8 or 8:30pm before closing up the laundry room crawl space hole. Nailed it shut then went back down to finish up the insulation over the crawl hole I made for the plumber and myself. I was done by 9am and my body was aching and eyes sore.

Figure 7 — Crawl hole nailed down

This was a tough job. My respects to people who do this type of work for a living—insulation and even the joist/framing stuff. Course doing it in the crawl space made it that much more difficult but either way it isn’t an easy profession.

I got what I wanted to accomplish on Saturday, leaving the plywood floor stuff for Sunday. So, I finished the day according to plan.

11 July 2005 – Sunday (Putting down the plywood over 2 x6 tongue and groove )

Got started around 10am today. Began with cleaning the floor using the shop-vac. Getting up all the debris. Also did a little sanding. I decided to cut the door frame so it would be about 1.25 inches high or about 7/8 inch after the plywood which should be just enough for the tiles. After all that was done, I went over the sub floor with a damp mop to getup any remaining loose dust then I ate some lunch and let the floor dry.

After lunch I began measuring the floor for cutting of the plywood. I had three 4×8 sheets of 15/32 inch plywood (about Ѕ”). A couple sheets I had to cut again to make sure they fit properly but within a couple hours I got it all done and everything laid out ready for gluing and screwing down.

I used some liquid nails sub floor glue and a screw about every 8 inches—which is a ton of screws. I tried to leave around 1/8 to ј inch spacing between the walls and/or plywood planks. In most cases enough for ј spacing to the wall and 1/8 spacing between sheets. Sometimes more, sometimes less. This is recommended for expansion although I’m not sure how it can expand much screwed down so much.

That took a long time and was quite painful on the knees or sitting down placing all those screws. Maybe it was around 6pm that I finished and my clean-up began. By just after 7pm I had all my equipment cleaned up and pushed back my laundry machines so I could clean some clothes and stuff before the next work will begin which I hope will be the tile next week.

Figure 8 — New 15/32″ plywood sub floor

I still need to pick out the tile, the sink base and the counter top! So, this week I expect to pick out the tile and try to make a decision on the sink base. Once those are set I’ll make a run for the counter top and paint for the room. Trying to match things up at least somewhat.

I still have to fix the drywall area where the plumbing was done. Will require a bit of sanding, taping and getting some drywall. That isn’t a problem. The difficulty lies in the texture stuff—getting the texture similar to the existing wall. Some practice maybe required.

All that and more in the weeks ahead. I’m still scratching my head in how such a seemingly little project like a laundry room can turn into such a big project taking many weeks.

15 July 2004 – Thursday (Drywall install)

I took Tuesday the 13 th off to get things moving on the project. Goal was to get some drywall, check out and decide on a tile and perhaps select a cabinet and counter top. Well, I got three out of four things done.

I first went to the Cabinet Broker in Tigard. They sold a variety of cabinets. The cabinet I decided on is made by Diamond which is a division of MaterBrand Cabinets. I’m told the same cabinet maker who makes the Home Depot Thomasville brand. I changed a few things from the original cabinet I was going to get from Home Depot which would have cost $433.83. That was about $100 more than I was expecting. I decided upon a simple square framed door with a Maple Opal finish which is a light almost grey/white/pink color that should blend in with the rest of the washing machines and keep things light. I guess we will see. Total cost was $284 which I felt was a good price. The only minus is I got the low end “advantage” construction which means furniture board (e.g. particle board) instead of plywood. I’m surprised the lady didn’t quote the mid and upper range products as well. I didn’t realize I got the lower end product until after I left. I thought about calling back and changing it. Back at home I inspected the rest of the cabinets in the house and they are all of the furniture board style. So, I’ve decided to run with it. I was glad to be able to get all that done. Now, I’ll probably have to figure out a way to get a pin nailer. Or a gun that shoots really thin nails. Maybe my staple gun will do a good enough job there. I’ll have to install the toe kick and the side panels.

Since they wouldn’t take credit I paid cash for the cabinet. I should have the cabinet in about 12-16 working days since the factory is within state and they don’t have a long lead time like some other cabinet manufactures who are out up to six weeks.

My next stop took me to Home Depot to exchange some items I didn’t use/need and drywall. After that I stopped off at Contract Furnishings Mart to look at tile. They had quite a large selection. Also several other people, interior designers, looking too. They were a bit busy and there wasn’t anyone offering to help or consult. So I browsed a little bit before leaving for lunch [I later found out they will only sell to contractors, not the general public].

After lunch I visited three other places on the other side of town. Ann Sacks, Oregon Tile and Marble, and one other one whose name I forget. None of these places had a good selection for floor tile that I liked though I did pick up three samples at OT&M. One the way home I stopped by Lowes to return another item and look at their tile. They had some stock but nothing I liked. Most seemed like it would require special ordering. Price was mostly in the $2-$4 range. Other places I was looking tended to be around $4-$5 on up.

I went home and looked up one more place. A local place called Taggart’s home interiors that carries tile, carpet, vinyl, countertops, etc. and even does installations. They had a great selection of tile, much like Contract Furnishings Mart but with a lady willing to help a bit. I found a couple I liked and got some pricing. Then I brought home some samples. My goal was to stick with tile under five dollars a square foot.

After taking the tiles home and looking at them I narrowed down my choices. I asked Joylyn what she thought of my choices and she like the one I was leaning towards. On Wednesday I returned the samples and made my purchases. I bought 90 sq ft of the $4.85 tile for a total of $436.50. The tile I got is made by Monocibec in Italy the style is Cotto Etrusco and color is Vieo which is a terra cotta light orange color. It will be different than the beige in the rest of the house and I expect it will match up to the color I expect to eventually paint the main room that the hallway from the garage joins up with.

Next Wednesday evening I should have the tiles and I scheduled the tile installers for next Thursday/Friday. So, everything should be pretty much done by the weekend of the 23 rd /24 th. Perhaps I would have the paint color selected by then and can paint the room. The next week I expect the cabinet to arrive so if all goes well, maybe by the first weekend in August I can have the whole project complete.

On Wednesday I cut the drywall for the hole in the wall—to cover the plumbing. I also cut off some of the door trim using a Dremel and chisel. I wanted to raise the floor a little higher than the 7/8” so the tile, backboard and etc will all fit without a problem. I estimated the mortar, backer board, and tile will be about 7/8” inch so I gave another 1/8 to 1/4 inch for the tile guys to work. Should be no problem now.

Today I finished off cutting the rest of the door trip and installed the cut drywall. Putting construction adhesive the screwing the drywall into the studs. It fit well with a maximum of 1/4 inch gap in some areas. I taped with some fiberglass tape and used joint compound. First coat looks pretty good. Tomorrow I’ll sand and put on a second coat. Saturday a third and hopefully final coat. Then I’ll need to buy and figure out how to get a similar texture as the rest of the wall—that will be the difficult part.

Figure 9 — Hole patched with drywall and taped

Things left to do are getting a new light, paint (and painting the room), and picking out a counter top material and having that made—which will take about two weeks. Yes, the project seems to drag on somewhat. And I’m not sure if I’ll have the plumber set the sink and do the remaining plumbing install or not.

20 July 2004 – Tuesday (Painting)

On Friday and Saturday I put on the second and third coats of the drywall. Sunday I sanded and took care of the texture stuff. The drywall repair and texture stuff actually turned out pretty well although I didn’t do the best job of blending it in with the other texture. I shouldn’t have tried to isolate the blend area by taping it off and just used over spray. I’ll keep that in mind the next time I have to repair some drywall. Most of the repair work will be covered by the new cabinet anyway. Only the upper portion will show.

On Monday I moved the laundry machines back out into the main room and wiped down the walls. Cleaned the dust off and cobwebs. I also taped a bunch of areas to help with painting so I didn’t paint the wood, pipes, etc.

Almost everyday requires a trip to Home Depot.

Today I placed the order for the countertop. I was going to go with the rounded edge, waterfall design but decided in the end to go with the standard, generic, flat lay. Will give me a little more counter space to place the sink. I purchased this from Precision Countertops with a Wilsonart laminate. The size is 32 x 25 3/8” which should fit perfectly on my 30×24” sink base. They expect this to be ready by August third (2 weeks) but I’m hoping they will be quicker and get it to me before that weekend which is when I expect the cabinet to arrive.

I also did some painting today. Purchased a yellow paint. Well, very light yellow with some orange base tint too it though very subtle. Painting didn’t go well. The semi-gloss paint didn’t stick to well to the wall. So, I got to painting and noticed areas where you could see the old paint and began to realize this is going to require two coats. Oh no! More work for me. I think it is more attributed to the previous paint being semi-gloss though. Or you could say the other paint is darker and the new paint is too light. Either way it shows through in parts so I’m really hoping a second coat will finish it off. I have only a half gallon left which I’m hoping is enough. I did spill more than I care to admit. There must be a trick to getting the paint out of the can without getting it everywhere or running down the can that I don’t know about.

My goal is to have that room all finished off/painted before the tile gets installed—which should be on Thursday morning pending the tile arrival. Almost seems like the project is dragging on so I’m wanting it to be done soon. We will soon see how everything goes together—tiles, paint, cabinet, and countertop. Could be interesting.

I used Behr paint (from Home Depot) and got the semi-gloss enamel. It cost about $22 a gallon. I fear if I have to get another gallon it may not be an exact match so the area I paint wouldn’t look like the same color. So, something to avoid.

28 July 2004 – Wednesday (Grout sealing)

Last Wednesday I painted a second coat on the walls of the laundry room. I had just enough paint to make it with some in reserve if I ever need to do some touch up painting. My job was done and I was ready for the tile guys.

Unfortunately, of course, my tile hadn’t arrived. This was due to a computer crash at the tile place of all things. They had lost my order. The tile guys were slated to arrive on Thursday and begin work. I spoke with them and they decided to get started with the 1/2″ wonder board installation early Monday morning and with any luck the tile would arrive and they could continue.

Thursday morning I called United Tile and found out the size of the tile I was to be getting. It was 5/16 inch thick—between 1/4 and 3/8 inch the lady told me. The tile guys would be able to put down 1/2 inch wonder board.

Figure 10 — Wonderboard 1/2″ installed

The tile guys arrived before 9am and got moving quickly. They were done laying down the wonder board in about two hours. However, there was no word on the arrival of my tile. I had left a message with the store I ordered from but had not received a call back.

Laundry Room Project

At about 11:30am when I was at work I got a call from the lady saying she was on the way to pick up the tiles. Ugh, why couldn’t she have called an hour ago. Oh well, tile guys would come tomorrow.

Thursday night I picked up the tile. Six boxes of 12 tiles plus 4 extra for a total of 76 tiles. Each weighed about 4 and a half pounds. Those boxes were quite heavy—heavier than I thought.

Friday the tile guys arrived around the same time and got started laying things out. Unfortunately the room was such that they would have to cut tiles for both sides since there wasn’t enough room to do full tiles across. It took them four hours to get everything laid down and finished up. Unfortunately because it was Friday they wouldn’t be back until Monday to do the grouting. However, it didn’t matter much since I didn’t have my cabinet or countertop.

On Monday one of the guys, Ted, came back to do the grouting. I selected “Earth” which is a medium brown since I wanted a dark grout and it fit the tile well. It took between 1-2 hours for the grout work to be done. The tile guy left some sealer was left so I could seal the grout.

Figure 11 — Tile and grout completed

Today, Wednesday, I sealed the grout. Went over it twice with the sealant and a nice bottle/paint brush tool I got from Home Depot that allowed me to do the sealing within about 15-20 minutes.

I also picked up my cabinet which just arrived.

Course the toe kick and another piece was nowhere to be found. So, I’ll still have to get those parts. But at least I can work on installing the molding again, cutting out the holes for the plumbing and putting in the washer/drier so I can do washes. My goal is to have all the cabinet and plumbing stuff done by mid next week so I’m ready for the counter top. Also to have all the molding done. With any luck I’ll have everything complete by the first full weekend in August. Finally after more than a month. Ugh.

5 August 2004 – Thursday (Almost finished)

Last week, when I picked up the cabinet, it just barely fit into the car. I had to move both seats forward. When I got in the car it was kind of like driving a go cart being so close to the wheel. I took the back roads and remained safe and did have some bad starts and slipping of the clutch but didn’t stall.

I suppose it is a good thing the toe kick and trim didn’t arrive when they did since I would have had to make another trip, or return the next day.

Well, the never ending project continued. Getting that large cabinet out of the car was a bit tricky. Luckily it wasn’t too heavy so I managed to get it moved to my living area to unbox. The construction was pretty good though I thought the 3/8” furniture board seemed a bit thin.

I didn’t really get started on the installation until Saturday and I only spent a minimal amount of time then. I simply reattached laundry duct. Removed the old one which had some difficulties staying together, painted the duct and area around the old hole, then reinstalled and used some silicon calk around the ductwork to keep out the air/bugs. I also ran off to get some more plumbing supplies I would need. Shut off valves and a P-Trap.

On Sunday I went to Home Depot for some more items. Kind of the part I don’t like about these projects. Always having to run back to the store a couple times a week. Will be nice when it is done. I’ll visit Home Depot about once in a couple months then when I do a project it will be several times in a week to buy/return stuff. Gets to be a bit much.

Sunday afternoon I spent from about 1pm until 7pm on the project. That involved putting the old molding back into place and then getting the cabinet level with shims and aligned. Then I cut some side plywood pieces so they fit and used some construction adhesive to install the side panels. Not sure why everything took so long but it did. Even got the washing machine in place and later the dryer so I could do the laundry.

My final step on Sunday, after getting the cabinet attached to the wall, was putting on the plumbing shutoff valves. I purchased the quarter turn valves after seeing and liking them better than what I bought the other day at A-boy. Difficulty was, after installing them I noticed drip, drip even though they were what I thought to be very tight. A never ending battle now.

On Monday I went to Home Depot again for a ten inch adjustable wrench to help tighten up the shut off valve easier. I turned off the water then reinstalled the shut off valves. Making sure I tightened a half turn this time. That worked.

It was Monday that the counter top also arrived. So, I picked it up and later that evening spent a couple hours getting it cut and setup for the sink. Installed it, mostly by eye. I think I may be as much as 1/16” off but that is because I installed flush to wall and apparently the wall isn’t that straight. It was at this time I noticed the base cabinet was slightly off from the tile grout lines. About 1/8” or maybe up to 3/16” off from the grout lines. Hum, I thought. Maybe the wall isn’t that straight after all. Wow, how could this have happened. Well, I guess all I can say is what is done is done. All has to do with the leveling and centering process. I leveled but then missed the centering process.

It was on Tuesday that I worked on installing the sink drain and faucet. I ran into two more problems this evening. One was the hoses from the sink were not long enough to reach my shut off valves. Damn, guess we should have had the plumber raise them up a bit. This led to me buying some extenders on Wednesday which I hope won’t leak when installed. Basically I bought a brass fitting to connect another 9” hose. The other issues was once the sink was installed the hot/cold adjust may end up hitting the wall. Another thing I didn’t think about. Interesting how all the problems start coming towards the end.

On Wednesday my friend William dropped by so we could get the sink installed. I put a bead of calk around the edge of the counter top. Then we dropped in the sink. Unfortunately the sink rocked a little bit. Back and forth on the corners by as much as 3/16 of an inch. What! How could this happen. I asked Williams thoughts and we decided to remove the sink and figure out the next step. I cleaned up all the calking and we reinstalled the sink without any calk to see the fitting. Yep, it does seem to be a little warped. My countertop is pretty flat after checking with level and t-square. So, the project is pretty much on hold now until I can determine a solution or exchange the sink.

So much for things going smoothly. Not sure what happened there and really wish this project would be done with by now. The sink is 90lbs and cost over $300. You would think there might be some Q/A at the factory to check things like this. Or maybe it is normal and I just have to add more calk around that corner. Ugh. It just isn’t easy installing and reinstalling.

9 August 2004 – Monday (Done)

I am finally done with this project.

On Thursday I called and requested an exchange for my sink. On Friday, the 6 th. I picked up the new sink. Struggled to get it out of the car but made it.

On Friday I recall putting up the final molding around the cabinet and kick plate. I also put down some weather stripping and the kick plate to the garage door. I just used the old metal kick plate and it fits well. No need for any changes.

On Saturday I worked on finishing the moldings in the hallway and getting the carpet to match up with the tile. Used wood putty to fill the nail holes. So, by the end of this day all was pretty much done expect for the sink install. On the new sink I placed the faucet and drain strainer.

Sunday Todd came over and helped me place the sink. We were brave and put the calking down and dropped in the sink. This time it fit, no rocking. Yes. I cleaned up the extra calking and then let the sink settle into place.

Figure 12 — Silicon caulk to seal/hold the sink in place

Monday morning I put up the back splash with some construction adhesive and put some more silicon calking on the edge where it meets the countertop.

Figure 13 — Sinke and Cabinet

Figure 14 — Close up view

Monday evening I finished attaching the rest of the faucet, and attached the water lines to hot and cold output. Finally it was time for the P-Trap. That went fairly smoothly after cutting all the plastic—luckily to the correct lengths. Waited for some of the glue to dry, made sure all was tight and tried it out. Everything working and no leaks. Course I’ll check things out tomorrow and maybe even shut it off as I depart on a much needed vacation. On the good side is this project is done so I won’t be thinking about it and when it will be finished on my vacation.

Figure 15 — P-trap and hot/cold connections

Three years ago I had an idea for a utility sink and now I’ve got one. Only about two months after I made the decision to purchase the sink to kick it all off. Well, two months and three thousand dollars later. Nice project to keep me busy on several weekends and many weekdays. Nice to have it completed. It turned out pretty well and gave me a new shot of confidence that I can tackle a big project like this. Don’t be afraid. Don’t be lazy. If it is something you want to do, start planning and dig in. Get it done and get that monkey off your back. Will be so much better when you can walk in and admire your completed project. Ah, good to be done.

Figure 16 — Completed laundry room

29 August 2004 – Final Comments

The toughest part in all of this was getting started and spending the time to do all the research on what I wanted who could do the plumbing, who could do the tile, and picking out everything. Lots of choices out there so if you have helpers or someone who can make up their mind quickly a similar project should run a bit smoother/quicker than mine. Good luck with your remodeling.

Leave a Reply