Tims journal Costco harmonics laminate flooring — bargain laminated flooring

tims journal Costco harmonics laminate flooring - bargain laminated flooring

July 1, 2004

Costco harmonics laminate flooring — bargain laminated flooring

Update

I’m doing a survey on laminate flooring, please vote! Now, back to our regular program.

I’ve been thinking about getting some Harmonics flooring. Costco sells it in 17.18 sq ft cartons for $26.89 (1.565 pre sq ft). A coupon this up coming week (7/5-7/11) gives you $5 off (1.274 per sq ft). Don’t forget to factor in the installation kit (padding, tapping block, spacers, etc. for $29.69 per 150 sq ft. (.198 per sq ft). Total cost, about $1.50 per sq ft (excluding tax).

My sisters actually installed this product into my dad’s office with no problems and good results. I’ve heard others complain that laminate flooring sounds cheaper when you step on it. So what’s the real story? I talked to the painters about it and one of them mentioned that you still should use some glue.

• I found a discussion group at Better Homes and Gardens on the subject. I was especially concerned about the water issue. I bought 250 square feet of this floor, fo my bedroom. I rent an apt and I didn’t want to spend a lot. I have asthma from 9/11 so I had to get the carpet out asap.

It’s very easy to install. I love the quality. I agree with the bare feet coments above. It’s also easy to keep clean, just get a swiffer.

I did not buy the install kit. I bought the foam pad stuff from home depot. I did the whole job with a cordless circular saw. Instead of the tapping block I used a small scrap it works, but a block would be better because when you hit it, it delaminates and breaks apart.

I have a customer with laminate flooring in a hair salon. It flooded twice and the floor still looks good. It kind of curld up, but laid back down when it dried.

• Harmonics is «Quick Step «. Well, after reading up on this post yesterday, I stopped by Costco today to check out the Harmonics flooring again and show my wife. I got a scrap plank of Pergo from a friend and subjected it to a key scratch test (scratching my car key against the surface pretty hard to see the result). I also did this test today at Costco on a scrap piece that someone had taken out of a box. It seemed like the Pergo was a little more resistant to the scratch test. THe harmonics seemed to show damage with less pressure than the Pergo did. Anyways, I think the price is unbeatable.

I also checked on the coupon that someone mentioned in an earlier post and found a coupon for $5 off (between Feb 16, 2004 and Feb 29, 2004). THe interesting thing is, I think this coupon settles the «who makes Harmonics?» mystery. The coupon says it is good on «Quick Step» glueless laminate flooring (item #’s 695303, 696727, 696728). The picture looks just like the Harmonics packages that are there now. Unfortunately, I did not check the item #’s of the Harmonics boxes that are currently there (didn’t think to check until I had left), but I have a feeling they are the same as on the coupon.

I also read the fine print on the warranty. It requires the «wear» spot to be at least a one square inch area! That’s pretty big. However, I’m sure all the laminate floor warranties have similar constraints.

• Address and contact info Harmonics- 1000 Cal Oak Rd. Oroville, CA 95965

Tech support number 1-888-459-9220

• Posted by torque at July 1, 2004 8:02 PM | TrackBack

Comments

this is going into your SF condo? it’s not worth it if you’re just prepping for selling. we’re not doing much to our place before putting it up next friday.

know anyone who wants a 3br 2ba 1825 sq ft townhome with PA schools ?

we did put laminate in our new house, with mannington on san antonio in PA. Come over and see it, it’s getting finished today.

Posted by: enoch choi at July 2, 2004 9:37 AM

Enoch, that was my conclusion as well. what’s your place going to list for? Christine, I did see ifloor!

Posted by: tim at July 2, 2004 4:02 PM

I have had problems getting in touch with Harmonics Customer Services number. I have called serveral times and always get an answering machine. I have had problems finding a local dealer so was unable to get the moldings unless i can get in touch with Harmonics :( too bad they don’t seem to care about their own products

Posted by: lauren at July 16, 2004 9:53 AM

July 1, 2004

Costco harmonics laminate flooring — bargain laminated flooring

Update

tims journal Costco harmonics laminate flooring - bargain laminated flooring

• Address and contact info Harmonics- 1000 Cal Oak Rd. Oroville, CA 95965

Tech support number 1-888-459-9220

• Posted by torque at July 1, 2004 8:02 PM | TrackBack

Comments

know anyone who wants a 3br 2ba 1825 sq ft townhome with PA schools ?

Posted by: enoch choi at July 2, 2004 9:37 AM